Skip to main content

Shows to Cuddle and Binge During Winter Break

For all you lucky ones that get to stay in when the weather is perfect for hot chocolate and your San Marcos. For all of those who already binged Narcos, OITNB, and Game Of Thrones is getting on your last nerve. For all of those that know movies are not enough to feed your hunger of relentless binging. I give you a list of unorganized genres of shows that you can make your way into. You're welcome god damn it.

The Leftovers (HBO)
Where Can I Watch This? HBOGo, HBONow, or you know, you'll find a way for your HBO shows.
Why Should I Watch This? 
I was really hesitant on this show since season one first started. When you hear the word "rapture" you immediately try to link it to the bible, and some of us are just not interested in anything related to religion. Surprisingly, this show isn't Christian at all. In fact, it could use a little Jesus to save them. On a typical day (October the 14th to be exact) people just disappear out of thin air and no one knows what is going on or where these people went. It then follows up by showing how "The Leftovers" are trying to move on with their lives after the disappearance of their loved ones, and how this one cult doesn't want that to happen. I'm not gonna go much into detail, all I'm going to say is that this show is one of my favorites because the stories are so captivating. By stories I mean all the important character's lives. Not to mention that Justin Theroux is a hot cop.


Fargo (FX)
Where Can I Watch This? Season 1 is the one I'm pushing, and since Season 2 just started, you can either find it on HuluPlus (where I watched it) or you know, where you get your HBO fix.
Why Should I Watch This?
Because it is eccentric, funny, full of suspense, and fascinating. I had been meaning to watch this since season one aired on FX, but I was jumping mid into the season and didn't find it to be worth it at the time. I recently got myself on the HuluPlus train, and to my luck season one was there! This is my new absolute favorite show for many reasons, but I wouldn't want to spoil. All I have to say is that if you ever questioned Billy Bob Thorton's talent, this show will make you praise him and never doubt him ever again. His character Lorne Malvo is EVERYTHING. Everyone should watch this at some point no matter how late to the party you are. The Coen Brothers know what they're doing.
ACES!


The Knick (Cinemax)
Where Can I Watch This? This is a Cinemax show, but HBOGo is offering it for a limited time. Or you know, how you get your HBO fix.
Why Should I Watch This?
My boss was the one who got me interested in watching this, although at first I wasn't about it at all. I finished up my first 2 binges so I said, why not? Well if you're not good with blood, scalpels, and surgery then don't even go through with this. I find myself perfectly fine watching gore movies but for some reason this is something I can hardly tolerate. 10 minutes into the first episode and I'm already squirming in my chair with my eyes closed wondering when it was gonna be over. After the first episode I told myself I wouldn't watch this anymore but god damn it, it's fascinating how far the medical field has come since the 1900's. Also, Clive Owen's character is one of those guys that you hate yet still root for because he's the doctor. He's a major asshole, and has some issues which I will not mention. Definitely one to keep an eye on, and worth considering for your pleasure viewing.



Real Housewives of Beverly Hills (BRAVO)
Where Can I Watch This? I don't think Bravo is having any reruns on this, so your best bet is HuluPlus, which is where I watch it.
Why Should I Watch This?
I know what you're thinking, and I know this is a little strange to you, but it is good to have a variety of shows in you. I don't just watch depressing HBO shows you guys! I am a fan of the Housewives thanks to my better half Edina (Erick). There are so many to choose from - New Jersey, OC, Atlanta, NY, ect. My favorite happens to be this one. Here's why: I secretly desire a fabulous rich bitch life. I also love drama. Not causing it, not being part of it, but being an audience to it. I LIVE. Reality TV is one of my guilty pleasures. Most of the characters are actually relatable although their bank accounts are not. You realize they are just people like you and me. I tried viewing New Jersey, but Beverly Hills - That's where I want to be. I'm also starting up my own version of this so I am actually "studying" it. And well, to be Lisa Vanderpump is my goal in life. I'm not sorry, I'm gonna go buy a $1,000 chocolate bunny. Bye.


Mad Men (AMC)
Where Can I Watch This? Netflix, so some of you really have no excuse.
Why Should I watch this?
Honestly, I get so offended when I ask someone if they've ever watched Mad Men because the series has come to an end, and Mad Men has been on Netflix for as long as I can remember. There truly isn't an excuse as to why you shouldn't be on board with this. It is classy, marvelous, and all the other fancy words one could think of. It takes place in the mid 1950s, and makes its way to the late 1960s of advertising. I know, AD Men? How boring. Well, it's not for everyone I guess. If you're into character development, subtle drama, and style then this is the show for you. It's not only that, but the life of Don Draper is something that keeps you wanting more even though some things he does are terrible (i.e.: all the cheating) but you still can't hate him because he's been through so much. He's my (anti)HERO.




True Detective (HBO)
Where Can I watch This? HBOGoHBONow, or you know, you'll find a way for your HBO shows.
Why Should I Watch This?
Season one was full of philosophical quotes and suspense to make your nerves burst. Rust Cohle is my spirit animal, and basically all I stand for. Y'all had a year and a half to get on board with that season, but now I want to talk about season two. Many discredit it because of all the high expectations it had. With the high success the first season had, a lot of people believe it fell short. To me, I think it was good in it's own standing. Had it not been following the first season, I believe people would've praised it instead of shaming it. It's obviously not a sequel, so not to compare to the first one. I believe it to be more action packed, and less car convos (sadness ensued.) The only thing I believed it failed in was way too many character and not enough time to develop all character stories. Other than that, I still hold it dear to my heart and defend it! It's not the first time critics shame the second season, for any tv series basically.



The League (FX)
Where Can Watch This? Netflix, FXX, and probably Hulu.
Why I should I Watch This?
To be completely honest, I am not even a football fan. I've never gone to a football game and I won't sit down and watch one either. Let me wither in the cold outside, Mother Russia would rather moon tan with a side of frost bite. I will be god damned to admit that I find this show to be good. Like, really good. Overly hilarious! This is something that you watch when you just want to laugh at stupid shit, and Family Guy is just not your cup of tea. Trust me, this got me through some of my toughest times in which my only escape was Netflix. Fantasy Football never looked so fun, and that's coming from a side I don't even know of myself. If these people don't give you friendship goals, then at least Kevin and Jenny are relationship goals. Also, I love Mark Duplass. That is all. 



Twin Peaks (ABC, Showtime) 
Where Can I Watch This? Netflix! Go do it now!
Why Should I Watch This?
What would winter be without a good mystery to snuggle up to? Who killed Laura Palmer? Is the Log Lady giving me aesthetic goals? Fire walk with me. This show is fantastic, just like the coffee in Twin Peaks. The perfect 90s mystery. Laura Palmer is found dead and we must find out who murdered her followed by how it went. (The first season ending is a good one!) Not to mention that me and Agent Coop are two peas in a pod. It derives from the mind of my beloved David Lynch (and Frost) so you already know where it's headed. Although I must say this isn't really your typical Lynch, so I recommend starting your Lynch journey with the series. If you wish to go on and watch the films then off you go and fly mariposa, I will be here to guide you.



The Jinx: The Life and Deaths of Robert Durst (HBO)
Where Can I Watch This? HBOGo, HBONow, or the sped up version on YouTube.
Why Should I Watch This?
I don't know how many times I have to tell people to watch this, not because it's educational or important, but because it's fucking good. I wasn't really familiar with Jarecki aside from "All Good Things" which is about to our man Durst here, and his "missing" first wife. Wasn't really a fan, but I gave this documentary series a go when I was in the mood for creepy. Well I was very intrigued. This is one of those documentaries where you don't want to believe people can be evil. Jarecki himself tries to make Durst not seem like a bad guy. There was only so much he could do, but the evidence is so clear. What ticks me the most is watching all the evidence unfold, all signs pointing to Robert Durst and yet we still can't find him guilty. Boy you are guilty as hell. But I will let you be the judge of that if you just give this a try. 



IF you decide to watch these, don't hesitate to come talk to me about them. I love discussing about these shows, including some I had to exclude such as: RuPaul's Drag Race, Desperate Housewives, Deutschland 83, Girls, Hannibal, and soon to watch The Man In The High Castle. Now go on and snuggle up to your computer.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

tv talk

We Are Who We Are A masterpiece from Luca Guadanino BECAUSE MY HEART IS BREAKING. AT THE FACT THAT NOT MANY PEOPLE ARE WATCHING. That's alright, I didn't watch Euphoria so I guess we are even? I hear it's a similar concept except the ones in this program have no real issues that can justify. At least Fraser. Who happens to be my favorite. Who happens to be the one I relate to. Why am I so OBSESSED? Maybe because all I can remember from my time in Italy is being constantly drunk. Wine, Tequila, Limoncello, and Prosecco. Venezia, to be precise. Is it because the soundtrack resonates with my long walks to nowhere. Eating shit, beating heart. Walking along those canals and running towards buses. Camping ground fun. Not to mention, the beginning of the heartbreaks. Merletto Veneziano, biliardo, baciato dal sole.  Because maybe inside I am unlikeable. Broken, but putting my strong fronts. Maybe I don't want to be liked either. Yet people persist...  I can't stand how much

10 Things I learned from watching RuPaul's Drag Race

As some of you may know, I am deeply obsessed with RuPaul's Drag Race. With Season 8 and the 100th episode airing today, I've decided to express my emotions through a FABULOUS AND SICKENING LIST! Here is what this show has done for me. 10. Believe in Your Craft; WORK IT OUT! Sometimes, we wish we could pull off things we don't think we are good at. But hey, no one has to know what a wreck you are. COMMIT TO YOUR LOOK. Commit to your talent, and commit to yourself. Once you do, no one can come for you baby. You've got this in the bag. Unless you cause a total car crash and piss off Mama Ru. 9. You're more than just a pretty face Although to be a successful drag queen one must master the art of giving GOOD FACE, Mama Ru has taught me that it takes more than just FACE to be a drag superstar. While looking for Charisma, Uniqueness, Nerve, and Talent, you have to remember that even though you may not be good at something, if you apply the Force of th

song is on my mind

 Cool For The Summer - Demi Lovato Boy does this song bring me major, major, nostalgia of my time in Europe. At the time, I believe Season 9 of RPDR was on, and Shea Coulee had to LS4YL to this song. I was pretty entranced by the beat, quite familiar with the lyrics as well. This song got me through that bus ride to "Eastern Europe" (its actually central, as most Eastern countries are predominantly Slavic, for the ultimate eastern feel.) We had just left Italy, and were on our way to Austria. However, during our time in Italy, we had a Vatican City tour in Rome. Prior to arriving, our trip leader had a fun confession game, which had us all write down 3 confessions that he would say out-loud to the entire group. I consider myself a horrible liar. This is why I have always preferred living truthfully and honestly. I couldn't lie on that piece of paper, not even to save my already burned and charred reputation of the fucking weirdo of the trip. I wrote them down as I felt,