Skip to main content

10 Movies With Awesome Soundtracks

Soundtracks can make a movie twice as better than they actually are, or complete it. Some movies on the other hand may have a good compilation of songs, but still suck! I've decided to make a list of at least ten of my favorite movies that made it WORK. It was just going to be 7, but I'm a movie vagabunda. Sweeties, darlings, get your Spotify playlist ready!

10. Boyhood (2014)

Yellow by Coldplay
The scene where Mason is staring at the sky at the beginning while Yellow is playing is one of the most resonating parts from this movie. It really is a strong start, but if you ask me if I like this movie in general, I'll give you a straight up hell no. Some for personal reasons, but mostly because it flat lined so hard after he grew up to be a typical teenage hipster in Texas. Linklater may be a favorite for most movie buffs. To me, nothing gets better than Dazed and Confused. Just like Natural Born Killers and Oliver Stone, but that's just me sliding off topic. I will credit the song picks that are made for his movies though. 

Other favorite songs on this soundtrack include: Hero by Family of the Year, Hate it Here by Wilco, and Deep Blue by Arcade Fire.
I'll give this movie a solid B, for Boyhood! On a serious note, B for not meeting my expectations after the first hour had gone by. The soundtrack gets a good A. It's alright, could've used more indie rock to this growing hipster epidemic. 

9. Spin (You Are Here) (2007)


Banquet by Bloc Party

How do I even begin with this movie. Where do I begin? Let's start by saying that I came across this movie on one of my cable channels and boy was it a blessing. Although the story really lives up to the title (SPIN), I can't help but be entranced every time I watch this. I feel like this movie was gunning to be a raunchy rom com, but it flops at times. I still find it enjoyable for a good laugh. Hell, I find it incredibly charming. What salvaged this movie for me was the EXCEPTIONAL music choices. Aside from my major girl crushes Lauren Graham and Bijou Phillips being in it. Also, I have never met a Joy Division cover that I like until I watched this.

Other favorites include: D.A.N.C.E. by Justice, House of Jealous Lovers by The Rapture, Love Will Tear Us Apart (Cover) by Nouvelle Vague, and Your Ex-Lover Is Dead by Stars
No matter what anyone says, I give this movie a B although some may think it's a D. The soundtrack is an A+ for me. This is the kind of music that could get me impregnated. 

8. 500 Days Of Summer (2009)

She's Got You High by Mumm-Ra

Anyone that says they don't like this movie shouldn't be talked to at all. Anyone that says that they don't think this movie was the cutest movie to watch in the summer of 2009 is a damn liar. Anyone that says they knew The Smiths before this movie came out is a fraud, and anyone that didn't have high music goals after this soundtrack needs to reevaluate their music taste. This movie was a high inspiration towards my self improvement in music. If you're not familiar with this movie by now, then you better get to it. No excuses. Although it is "not a love story," I consider it a tragic love story. We've all been in a situation where we meet someone that completes us with their perfect taste which is similar to ours. To our dismay, they are not our soul mates (I know, what gives?) But you know what, that's fine because this soundtrack is my soulmate, and i'm alright with that.

Other favorites on this impeccable soundtrack: There Is A Light That Never Goes Out by The Smiths, Bad Kids by Black Lips, Hero by Regina Spektor, and Vagabond by Wolfmother.
As cliche and overrated as this movie is, I love it. I give both this movie and soundtrack a well earned A. Now go watch it right now.


7. Guardians of The Galaxy (2014)

Fooled Around and Fell in Love by Elvin Bishop

I don't know what people love more - the movie or the soundtrack. To be fair, I am not a huge fan of superhero or comic movies unless it's about the X-Men. I was honestly forced to watch this movie by my ex, and I liked it, but I wasn't all up on it like others. It had a good amount of action, funny lines that could be overused for ones disposal, and the visuals were pretty neat. As far as the story goes - I was lost. I watched it again, and I was still lost, and if there is a second part then I hope they stop losing me. BUT, that soundtrack! My entire respects to it! If there was ever a time to take advantage of how awesome Hooked on a Feeling is, this movie took it.

I'm not even going to make a list of songs, the whole thing is an AWESOME PLAYLIST.
The movie gets a B- from me, I'M NOT SORRY, you can throw your fits and beer cans at me, it's just not my glass of wine. That soundtrack? A++ which I guess makes up what the movie lacked.


6. Dazed and Confused (1993)

Tush by ZZ Top

Wowza! This movie is a definite one of a kind. I watched this my freshman year of high school and thought, "why is high school not like this?" then again, I was a loser - still am one. I also remember having the biggest crush on Slater. Wooderson is also one of the most iconic characters Matthew McConaheyhey played, giving us quotes for all eternity. My favorite scene of all has to be the one where Mitch, Pink, Dawson and Pickford are driving around throwing trashcans and wrecking shit, headbanging to ZZ Top, because honestly, who doesn't head bang to Tush? The moments are endless with this film. Probably my most favorite out of Linklater. Great set, great cast, and great soundtrack!

Notable songs include: Sweet Emotion by Aerosmith, Slow Ride by Foghat, School's Out by Alice Cooper, Paranoid by Black Sabbath, and of course, Tuesday's Gone by Lynyrd Skynyrd.
Of course this movie and soundtrack get an A+. The Criterion really knows how to pick them, so if you have never watched this, everyone is frowning upon you.


5. The Boat That Rocked (Pirate Radio) (2009)
All Day And All Of The Night by The Kinks

This movie is the love of my life, I am sure of that. Watching this gives me goosebumps because of how amazing the song selections are. You know when you go out looking for something that helps give you a sense of belonging? This movie was it for me. Not that I was gonna drop my entire life and become a DJ and radio personality at a pirate radio station over seas, but wouldn't that be cool? Philip Seymour Hoffman's performance was eccentric and the energy that keeps you intrigued, Tom Sturridge is a total babe, and Gavin is the god damn man. One of my favorite scenes happens to be a deleted scene,"the meaning of life." These are the kind of people we should always be surrounded by. This movie is all you need to stay happy.

The selection of songs in which I am crazy about: Stay With Me Baby by Duffy, Elenore by The Turtles, With A Girl Like You by The Troggs, I'm Alive by The Hollies,  Friday On My Mind by The Easybeats, and basically THE ENTIRE SOUNDTRACK.
This movie WINS. This soundtrack WINS. A+! I had added more plus signs but I wanted to keep it professional. You know how I feel about it now.


4. The Wedding Singer (1998)
Love My Way by The Psychedelic Furs

Okay so I know what you are thinking. "Really girl? An Adam Sandler movie?" BUT hear me out. Yeah, some of his movies are pretty stupid, but once in a while you get a good rom com out of him. You can't tell me you didn't get emotional during 50 First Dates, or even Click! I recently found myself watching this one not too long ago, and wow, what a selection of songs! Not surprised that he went for 80s music. So typical in his movies. The compilation of this one is what gets me though. Play Blue Monday by New Order, I will shut up and dance. Play some China Girl by David Bowie and I am yours forever. What was overwhelming for me about the music was the excessive amount of times songs were repeated and played when unnecessary. The story is pretty cute, but Sandler isn't exactly the dream guy we all leave our cheating rich fiance for. Billy Idol makes an appearance, so that is a great save!

My favorites on this soundtrack: How Soon Is Now? by The Smiths, Hold Me Now by The Thompson Twins, Every Day I Write The Book by Elvis Costello, and White Wedding by Billy Idol.
The movie is pretty "meh" although it is one of my favorite rom coms. I give this movie a C, while the soundtrack gets a B+. Yes, I made this number 4 because of China Girl, don't judge me, it's my list.

3. Reservoir Dogs (1992)
Stuck In The Middle With You by Stealers Wheel

And now, K-Billy's Super Sounds of the Seventies with the addition of a cutting of the ear scene. 
Anyone that knows me on a personal level knows how much I glorify Quentin Tarantino, and everything that Tarantino does. Reservoir Dogs was his first major film, and also my favorite by him. Minimalist with hardcore dialogue and heavy violence. What more could a girl want? Pretty obvious as to what scene is my favorite. The song, the dance Mr. Blonde does while pulling out his razor to cut off Marvin's ear trumps I shot Marvin in the face from Pulp Fiction. Michael Madsen is one hell of an actor, alongside Tim Roth, Harey Keitel, and my beloved Steve Buscemi. This movie will always have a special place in my heart. Not to mention how difficult it was for me to just pick one Tarantino movie with a good soundtrack. Duly noted that he always has the best soundtracks. 

Songs to get crazy to: Little Green Bag by George Baker Selection, Hooked on A Feeling by Blue Swede, and Coconut by Harry Nilsson
Just going to put it out there: I have this soundtrack on vinyl, and yes it is as glorious as it sounds. This film obviously gets an A, while the soundtrack gets a B+, mostly for minimalist use of songs. I actually appreciate his style of using songs in his movies, but cutting the ear scene really won me over.


2. Trainspotting (1997)
Perfect Day by Lou Reed

From the very beginning, I was already won over. Running away from the cops scene with some Iggy Pop? SOLD. This movie is a trip on it's own, no drugs needed for personal use (unless you're into that.) There is a lot of heroin use in this film, so if you're iffy about needles, you can just shut your eyes for 1/4 of it. Young Obi Wan does well in portraying a drug addict, you can hardly even tell it's him! The scene of the overdose robbed me and stripped me for all I found beautiful. The entire trip while Lou Reed's Perfect Day was playing brought me to tears. Just thinking of it makes me want to cry. I now see that song in a different light, I cherish it. This is exactly how I see myself going on to another life.

Notable songs: The Passenger by Iggy Pop, Golden Years by David Bowie, Come Together by Primal Scream, and Atmosphere by Joy Division.
I give this movie a B, because it is a fun story and I actually enjoyed it, but not enough to leave an impression aside that overdose bit. Soundtrack gets a B+. Yeah I made this #2 because I love Lou Reed.

1. Almost Famous (2000)

Tiny Dancer By Elton John 


I know I know - what a cliche! You can't look me in the eyes and not agree with me though. I'll call you out on it. Because come on, who doesn't want to hang around with rock stars that take so much LSD they think they're golden gods? I love this movie, I forget sometimes, and this is probably why I am derailing from what matters the most to me - Rock and Roll. That scene when they're all on the bus super pissed off at Russell for running off and almost killing himself... when suddenly... we are all singing along to Tiny Dancer by Elton John. When William tells Penny that he needs to go home and she say's, "You are home." was all I needed to hear to make me love her and want to be her. If you don't sing along at the top of your lungs then you probably don't even get the meaning of life at all. Shame on you.

Favorites on this: America by Simon & Garfunkel, Sparks by The Who, Fever Dog by Stillwater, Simple Man by Lynyrd Skynyrd, and I'm Waiting For The Man by David Bowie.
For obvious reasons, both this movie and soundtrack get an A+. If you ask me for recommendations, I will give you this. This is the girl. This is my film.




By now, some of you are probably pissed off at me, yelling at your screen saying, "What the hell man? No Garden State?" So here is a list of movies that almost made it.

Goodfellas, The Virgin Suicides, Forrest Gump (almost made #1), Garden State, Pulp Fiction, Death Proof, Full Metal Jacket, Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist, Moonrise Kingdom, American Graffiti, The To Do List, Marie Antoinette, and The Royal Tenenbaums. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

tv talk

We Are Who We Are A masterpiece from Luca Guadanino BECAUSE MY HEART IS BREAKING. AT THE FACT THAT NOT MANY PEOPLE ARE WATCHING. That's alright, I didn't watch Euphoria so I guess we are even? I hear it's a similar concept except the ones in this program have no real issues that can justify. At least Fraser. Who happens to be my favorite. Who happens to be the one I relate to. Why am I so OBSESSED? Maybe because all I can remember from my time in Italy is being constantly drunk. Wine, Tequila, Limoncello, and Prosecco. Venezia, to be precise. Is it because the soundtrack resonates with my long walks to nowhere. Eating shit, beating heart. Walking along those canals and running towards buses. Camping ground fun. Not to mention, the beginning of the heartbreaks. Merletto Veneziano, biliardo, baciato dal sole.  Because maybe inside I am unlikeable. Broken, but putting my strong fronts. Maybe I don't want to be liked either. Yet people persist...  I can't stand how much

10 Things I learned from watching RuPaul's Drag Race

As some of you may know, I am deeply obsessed with RuPaul's Drag Race. With Season 8 and the 100th episode airing today, I've decided to express my emotions through a FABULOUS AND SICKENING LIST! Here is what this show has done for me. 10. Believe in Your Craft; WORK IT OUT! Sometimes, we wish we could pull off things we don't think we are good at. But hey, no one has to know what a wreck you are. COMMIT TO YOUR LOOK. Commit to your talent, and commit to yourself. Once you do, no one can come for you baby. You've got this in the bag. Unless you cause a total car crash and piss off Mama Ru. 9. You're more than just a pretty face Although to be a successful drag queen one must master the art of giving GOOD FACE, Mama Ru has taught me that it takes more than just FACE to be a drag superstar. While looking for Charisma, Uniqueness, Nerve, and Talent, you have to remember that even though you may not be good at something, if you apply the Force of th

song is on my mind

 Cool For The Summer - Demi Lovato Boy does this song bring me major, major, nostalgia of my time in Europe. At the time, I believe Season 9 of RPDR was on, and Shea Coulee had to LS4YL to this song. I was pretty entranced by the beat, quite familiar with the lyrics as well. This song got me through that bus ride to "Eastern Europe" (its actually central, as most Eastern countries are predominantly Slavic, for the ultimate eastern feel.) We had just left Italy, and were on our way to Austria. However, during our time in Italy, we had a Vatican City tour in Rome. Prior to arriving, our trip leader had a fun confession game, which had us all write down 3 confessions that he would say out-loud to the entire group. I consider myself a horrible liar. This is why I have always preferred living truthfully and honestly. I couldn't lie on that piece of paper, not even to save my already burned and charred reputation of the fucking weirdo of the trip. I wrote them down as I felt,