Skip to main content

5 Movies To Watch On Father's Day

Since my dad isn't much of a festive fellow, I've decided to whip up a short list of films about fathers, both good and bad in honor of Father's Day. Just in case your dad isn't into celebrating and going out for dinner, you can have a list of films to stay in and watch.



Eraserhead (Dir: David Lynch)

From the mind of my filmmaker father David Lynch, his first feature length film is set in a industrial glum city in which our main character Henry Spencer learns he is a father, and undergoes deep hallucinations which play around Spencer's head while caring for a mostly deformed child. Now, majority of the time we don't know what David Lynch's films are about. It's said that this film was based around Lynch's thoughts on fatherhood. The fear of parenting, which brings great dread to me on just the thought alone. But, Lynch is also known to make his films open to interpretations depending on the viewer, so you can never really pin point what is really going on. All I can say is that some of us just might be Henry Spencer, even for a tad bit.




The Royal Tenenbaums (Dir: Wes Anderson) 


Anything Wes Anderson does has always been praised by me. From his aesthetic, to his stories, everything in a Wes Anderson film is so well coerced. The Royal Tenenbaums is probably the most recognizable film in Wes Anderson's career. It has a great cast, amazing costume design (those red Adidas tracksuits!) and a fun story. I won't spill too much, but I must say that some fathers can really relate to Royal Tenenbaum. My dad is a fan of this one, and that is why it's on this list today.




The Godfather Part II (Dir: Francis Ford Coppola)


The reason I wanted to put Part 2 instead of 1 (aside from the fact that every film fanatic has had to watch The Godfather at least once in their life by now) is because we get to see the kind of father Vito Corleone was at an earlier stage. We also see a slight comparison between Vito and Michael throughout the film, in terms of how they handle their "business" and relationships with the family. Me and my dad actually binged the trilogy in one day. 5/5 would recommend you do that too!



The Birdcage (Dir: Mike Nichols)


Adapted from the original screenplay "La Cage Aux Folles" which was also originally the French film from 1978, The Birdcage is about a boy named Val who wants to marry his sweetheart Barbara, which comes from a very conservative family. Now why would that been an issue, only that Val's father Armand (played by our beloved and late actor Robin Williams) is actually a gay man that owns a gay club called "The Birdcage". Before Val and Barbara marry, Barbara's parents must meet Val's parents which turns into a big issue for Val since his father is in a relationship with a flamboyant man named Albert. This movie is great to watch because it shows you how much a father is willing to do for his son in order for him to be happy. In a era in which we keep pushing civil rights, an LGBT film should be no issue for a Father's Day watch list.




Big Fish (Dir: Tim Burton)


Big Fish is one of my favorite films from Tim Burton because it's not so dark and goth like all the others, but has  very emotive topics and his weirdness is still present. I can watch this movie so many times and not get tired of it. It can teach you many life lessons, most importantly the relationship between father and son. This one is a real tearjerker, and a highly recommended one too. Your father's stories may not always seem true, but it's the moments you share together while these stories are told that should be always cherished.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

tv talk

We Are Who We Are A masterpiece from Luca Guadanino BECAUSE MY HEART IS BREAKING. AT THE FACT THAT NOT MANY PEOPLE ARE WATCHING. That's alright, I didn't watch Euphoria so I guess we are even? I hear it's a similar concept except the ones in this program have no real issues that can justify. At least Fraser. Who happens to be my favorite. Who happens to be the one I relate to. Why am I so OBSESSED? Maybe because all I can remember from my time in Italy is being constantly drunk. Wine, Tequila, Limoncello, and Prosecco. Venezia, to be precise. Is it because the soundtrack resonates with my long walks to nowhere. Eating shit, beating heart. Walking along those canals and running towards buses. Camping ground fun. Not to mention, the beginning of the heartbreaks. Merletto Veneziano, biliardo, baciato dal sole.  Because maybe inside I am unlikeable. Broken, but putting my strong fronts. Maybe I don't want to be liked either. Yet people persist...  I can't stand how much

10 Things I learned from watching RuPaul's Drag Race

As some of you may know, I am deeply obsessed with RuPaul's Drag Race. With Season 8 and the 100th episode airing today, I've decided to express my emotions through a FABULOUS AND SICKENING LIST! Here is what this show has done for me. 10. Believe in Your Craft; WORK IT OUT! Sometimes, we wish we could pull off things we don't think we are good at. But hey, no one has to know what a wreck you are. COMMIT TO YOUR LOOK. Commit to your talent, and commit to yourself. Once you do, no one can come for you baby. You've got this in the bag. Unless you cause a total car crash and piss off Mama Ru. 9. You're more than just a pretty face Although to be a successful drag queen one must master the art of giving GOOD FACE, Mama Ru has taught me that it takes more than just FACE to be a drag superstar. While looking for Charisma, Uniqueness, Nerve, and Talent, you have to remember that even though you may not be good at something, if you apply the Force of th

tv talk

 Big Little Lies  Season Two Mrs. Renata Klein, you give me life and you give me hope.  I am on the last episode of Big Little Lies Season two, and I am starting to feel gloomy about it coming to an end. I began watching this show with my mom, and we managed to finish season one. However, Season two came out a year ago and I couldn't wait to watch with my mom any longer (I moved, and she needs to see it in spanish.) Being that I am under the age of 30, with no kids, and no money, I don't see how I could possibly relate to these women. My spirit stands, as it is 53 years old. Her name is Renata Klein. In season one of BLL, Renata is the bitch you avoid at all costs. However, women like her are not easy to avoid, and will let you know THEY ARE THERE. Whether its to be nice, or rip your head off your neck. Season two on the other hand, she is here to be empowered.  Yet the premise of this story created by Liane Moriarty, is to show you how terrible marriage can be, specifically ha